Hot Cross Buns
For the Dough
- 250ml JUST MILK
- 300g Flour
- 7g yeast (1 sachet)
- 1 tsp mixed spices
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 50G softened butter
- 100g raisins, Sultanas or currants
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 egg
- 50g shortcrust pastry
- Mix the flour, sugar, spice, yeast and salt into a bowl.
- Gently pour JUST MILK into the mixture then add the butter and egg to form a soft dough.
- Mix in the dried fruits of your choice along with the zest of the orange.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Place in a clean bowl and cover with a clean tea towel and leave to prove. The dough will double in size: this can take up to an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas Mark 6.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shapes then place on a lightly floured baking tray.
- Brush with the beaten egg and finish your buns with a cross made from the shortcrust pastry.
- Glaze once more and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
Prep Time (minutes)
Cooling Time (hours)