Salmon, Mushroom, and Leek Pie
- 2 sheets of puff pastry (425g each)
- 8 fresh salmon fillets, de-skinned
- 300g fresh baby mushrooms, cut in half and washed
- 1kg fresh leeks, halved, cut into rough 1cm squares and washed
- 75g salted butter
- 1 free range egg yolk
For the Bechanmel sauce (500ml):
- 500ml JUST MILK
- 50g butter
- 60g flour
- A little salt, and freshly ground pepper
- A pinch of cumin
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cook the leeks in a pan over a low heat with 50g butter for about 30 minutes until soft and creamy. Add to a separate bowl once cooked.
- Boil the mushrooms for 10 minutes, then fry them in the same way as the leeks until soft and golden. Remove from the pan and set to one side.
- To make the béchamel sauce, heat the JUST MILK in a pan until almost boiling, then reduce the temperature to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a separate, heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter gently then slowly stir in the flour to form a paste. Cook over a moderate heat for about one minute , stirring continuously, then slowly add the hot JUST MILK through a sieve.
- Once all the JUST MILK has been mixed in, season to taste with salt, black pepper and a pinch of cumin. Simmer for a further 20 minutes over a low heat.
- Lay the first sheet of puff pasty over an oven proof dish and prick with a fork. Place a layer of salmon, a layer of leeks, a layer of mushrooms and a layer of bechamel sauce onto the pastry, then repeat until you reach the top of the dish.
- Finish by adding the second sheet of pastry to the top. Brush the lid of your pie with an egg yolk. This will give it a lovely golden finish.
- Make a small hole in the lid of the pie to allow a little air to circulate while it’s cooking. This will help stiop the pastry going soggy!
- Bake for 45 minutes, until golden.
- Serve hot with your choice of salad or vegetables.
Prep Time (minutes)
Cooking Time (minutes)