Victoria Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs
- 300g sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 200g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon. salt
- 250 ml JUST MILK
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 120 g softened butter (for the butter cream)
- 300 g icing sugar (for the butter cream)
- Jam of your choice
- 1 short crust pastry
- 480 ml of JUST MILK
- 6 egg yolks
- 70 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- grated nutmeg
- 350g red rhubarb, sliced about 1cm/½in thick
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour the bottom only of 2 20cm dia cake tins.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until appearance is thick and lemony. Beat in sugar and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir flour mixture into egg mixture.
- In a saucepan, bring the JUST MILK and butter to a boil. Remove from heat and add all the hot milk mixture to batter mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tins, using a spatula to get remaining batter out of bowl, and to spread batter evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Cream the butter in a bowl using the back of a wooden spoon. Keep stirring until it’s of a creamy consistency. Add 280g of the icing sugar a spoonful at a time, continuing to cream the butter between each spoonful, until all the sugar has been thoroughly mixed in.
Prep Time (minutes)
Cooking Time (minutes)