- 4 eggs
- 300g sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 200g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon. salt
- 250 ml JUST MILK
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 120 g softened butter (for the butter cream)
- 300 g icing sugar (for the butter cream)
- Jam of your choice
- 1 short crust pastry
- 480 ml of JUST MILK
- 6 egg yolks
- 70 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- grated nutmeg
- 350g red rhubarb, sliced about 1cm/½in thick
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour the bottom only of 2 20cm dia cake tins.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until appearance is thick and lemony. Beat in sugar and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually stir flour mixture into egg mixture.
- In a saucepan, bring the JUST MILK and butter to a boil. Remove from heat and add all the hot milk mixture to batter mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tins, using a spatula to get remaining batter out of bowl, and to spread batter evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Cream the butter in a bowl using the back of a wooden spoon. Keep stirring until it’s of a creamy consistency. Add 280g of the icing sugar a spoonful at a time, continuing to cream the butter between each spoonful, until all the sugar has been thoroughly mixed in.
Prep Time (minutes)
Cooking Time (minutes)
join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with our latest recipes, offers and news with our monthly newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time here. You will receive an confirmation email in which you must click a link to join our list.