1. First of all, split the Pains au Lait or rolls in half and butter them lightly. Next, use a little butter to grease a 1.5 litre baking dish.
2. Put the Pains au Lait into the dish and scatter the fruit on top.
3. Beat together the eggs, milk, crème fraiche, sugar and vanilla extract. Allow a few minutes for the sugar to dissolve, then strain the mixture into the dish through a sieve, over the Pains au Lait.
4. Cover the dish with cling film and allow stand for at least 30 minutes. If you want to cook the pudding later, refrigerate until required.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4.
6. Remove the cling film from the pudding, then bake for 25-30 minutes until set and golden brown.
7. Cool for a few minutes. Sprinkle with a little extra caster sugar and serve with crème fraiche.
8. You can serve this pudding cold too - so you don’t have to eat it all at once!